- Healthy Food is Fun
- How Much Do I Need
- Smarter Shopper - Fruits, Veggies, Grains
- Smarter Shopper - Fats, Salts
- Reading Nutrition Labels
- Eating Healthy Doesn't Have to Be Expensive
- The Price is Right
- Make Mealtimes Fun
- Planning for the Week
- Snack Time - A Bridge Between Meals
- Active Families Have More Fun
- Take Control of TV
- Recipe Pack
About Food, Fun & Family
Learning healthy behaviors begins at home. As a parent or guardian, you have the greatest influence over the foods your child eats and the activities that they do when out of school. Making sure your family has healthy habits can be a challenge when your time and budget are tight! The goal of Food, Fun & Family is to help busy parents provide a healthier home environment for their children. The Food & Fun curriculum contains 7 core standards for healthy afterschool programs. Below are some ways that you can adapt those program standards to your home.
Hints for a Healthy Home
- Serve water at every meal and snack.
- Do not allow sugar-sweetened beverages in your home.
- Serve a fruit and/or vegetable at every meal and snack.
- Choose foods with 0g of trans fat and do not have partially hydrogenated oils in the ingredient list.
- When buying grains (like bread, crackers and cereals), choose whole grains.
- Limit screen time (TV, video games, computer) to less than 2 hours each day.
- Do not allow TV sets in children's bedrooms.
- Provide opportunities for your child to engage in at least 1 hour of moderate physical activity every day.
Establishing a healthy and active lifestyle early on contributes to children's wellbeing in so many ways. This handbook contains lots of tips and ideas for meals and activities that are healthy and fun for the whole family! Inside you'll find information on how to make healthy food and drink choices when grocery shopping and planning family meals and snacks; recipes that are fast, inexpensive and child friendly; ideas for getting your family more active and limiting TV time; and easy-to-find resources that can help you find information, ideas and support for making your home a healthy environment.
Some days coming up with ideas to be healthy will be easy, with opportunities for cooking together or taking a walk. Other days will be harder, but setting up a routine with regular healthy habits may help you stay healthy. Remember that as a parent or guardian, you are a role model to your children. Show your children that you enjoy healthy habits through the choices you make in your own life, and chances are they will too!
About the information pagesA PDF version of Food Fun & Family is available here.
Links to each of the information pages can be found to the left. Each page will contain useful information that will help you make sure that your family has healthy habits.