- Environmental Standards
- Getting Other Staff on Board
- Articles, Emails, and Handouts
- Unit 1: Fruits and Vegetables
- Unit 2: Get Moving
- Unit 3: Be Sugar Smart
- Unit 4: Go for Good Fat
- Unit 5: Go for Whole Grains
- Unit 6: Super Snacks
- Unit 7: Fruits and Veggies Mix it Up
- Unit 8: Tune Out TV
- Unit 9: Play Hard
- Unit 10: Hydration
- Unit 11: Finale
- Recipe Packet
- Complete Curriculum
Connect With Parents!
Key Messages for Parents
- You are an important role model for your children so it is important for you to eat healthy and be physically active.
- Serve a fruit or vegetable with every meal and snack, even if your child doesn't always eat them.
- Whole grain breads and cereals help you feel full longer, and are packed with fiber and other nutrients.
- Water and low fat milk are the best beverages to offer during snack and meal times.
- Limit the amount of time your children watch TV and play on the computer, and be prepared to offer other fun activities.
- Include "good for you" fats found in fish and plant sources like vegetable oils (such as olive and canola), nuts, and seeds.
Parent Communication Options
It is important to engage parents on a regular basis in a variety of ways. Here are some ways that you can engage parents at afterschool:
- Have a conversation with parents at pick up
- Create a bulletin board with the key messages from each Food & Fun unit
- Involve parents in daily physical activities and snack time
- Hold regularly scheduled events each month
- Repeat or try out new parent engagement activities from Food & Fun! Talk to parents and kids about their favorite activity involving parents and do it again! Or, take this opportunity to review parent engagement activities from previous units and try one out that you didn't have a chance to do before.