- Environmental Standards
- Getting Other Staff on Board
- Articles, Emails, and Handouts
- Unit 1: Fruits and Vegetables
- Unit 2: Get Moving
- Unit 3: Be Sugar Smart
- Unit 4: Go for Good Fat
- Unit 5: Go for Whole Grains
- Unit 6: Super Snacks
- Unit 7: Fruits and Veggies Mix it Up
- Unit 8: Tune Out TV
- Unit 9: Play Hard
- Unit 10: Hydration
- Unit 11: Finale
- Recipe Packet
- Complete Curriculum
Connect With Parents!
Key Messages for Parents
- Go for Five! Eat 5 or more fruits and vegetables (combined) each day.
- Serve a variety of fruits and vegetables in different colors.
- Be a healthy role model for your child by eating fruits and vegetables.
Parent Communication Options
It is important to engage parents on a regular basis in a variety of ways. Here are some ways that you can engage parents at afterschool:
- Have a conversation with parents at pick up
- Create a bulletin board with the key messages from each Food & Fun unit
- Involve parents in daily physical activities and snack time
- Hold regularly scheduled events each month
- Plan a potluck! Invite parents to participate in a fruit and veggie potluck. Ask parents to bring their favorite fruit or veggie dish to share with other parents and children. Ask them to bring copies of the recipe for other parents so they can make the dish at home.
- Offer fruits and veggies at pick-up. Put a bowl of fruits or veggies by the sign-out book for parents to grab when they pick up their kids from afterschool.
Refer to the Parent Communications document, Newsletter Article, and Parent Handout to reinforce the messages in this unit of Food & Fun. All three are available in Spanish and English, and the Handout is available in Chinese.
- Parent Communications: Ideas for parent engagement, as well as a newsletter, "Fruits and Vegetables for Better Health" and email message, "Healthy Habits Power Tips: Get your 5 servings of fruits and veggies!" to distribute to parents.
- Newsletter Article: The formatted version of the parent Newsletter
- Parent Handout: "Fruits and vegetables: Eat 5 or more servings for health". Send this handout home in a mailing, insert it into your next newsletter, or have copies available for pick-up at your program's sign-out area.