- Environmental Standards
- Getting Other Staff on Board
- Articles, Emails, and Handouts
- Unit 1: Fruits and Vegetables
- Unit 2: Get Moving
- Unit 3: Be Sugar Smart
- Unit 4: Go for Good Fat
- Unit 5: Go for Whole Grains
- Unit 6: Super Snacks
- Unit 7: Fruits and Veggies Mix it Up
- Unit 8: Tune Out TV
- Unit 9: Play Hard
- Unit 10: Hydration
- Unit 11: Finale
- Recipe Packet
- Complete Curriculum
I'm Going on a Picnic
Children take turns naming fruits and vegetables to follow the alphabet.
Eating the Alphabet by Lois Ehlert
- Children sit in a circle and the leader explains that the group is going on a picnic and needs to pack a fruit or vegetable that begins with each letter in the alphabet.
- Begin by saying "I'm going on a picnic and I'm going to bring an (apple, avocado, apricot, etc)"
- The next person repeats the line as well as the foods already listed (see modification for young children) and adds a food from the next letter in the alphabet.
- The goal is for all children to pack some fruit or vegetable for the picnic. When a child can't remember something, the game ends and it's time to start packing again!
- Younger children may simply name a food for each letter in the alphabet, while older children can be challenged to remember and repeat each food listed.
- Smaller programs may play this game with all ages together.
- This game can be expanded to include health snacks and drinks; for instance, arts on a log or fruit-flavored water.