- Environmental Standards
- Getting Other Staff on Board
- Articles, Emails, and Handouts
- Unit 1: Fruits and Vegetables
- Unit 2: Get Moving
- Unit 3: Be Sugar Smart
- Unit 4: Go for Good Fat
- Unit 5: Go for Whole Grains
- Unit 6: Super Snacks
- Unit 7: Fruits and Veggies Mix it Up
- Unit 8: Tune Out TV
- Unit 9: Play Hard
- Unit 10: Hydration
- Unit 11: Finale
- Recipe Packet
- Complete Curriculum
Recipe - Vegetable Quesadillas
Adapted from: USDA SNAP-Ed Recipes
Level 2: Basic Kitchen
Serving size: 1 quesadilla
Servings per recipe: 6
Price per serving: 74¢
Preparation and cook time: >45 minutes- best for smaller programs or cooking clubs
- 2 large bowls for veggies
- Medium skillet and hot plate or stove
- Dinner plate
- Cooking spray
- 1 Tbsp olive oil for sauteing
- 12 whole-wheat 6" tortillas
- 3 cups shredded low fat cheese, like cheddar or monetary jack
- 1 zucchinis, grated
- 1 carrots, grated
- Salt & pepper to taste (optional)
- 1 12oz jar salsa
- Pinch of chili powder or dash of hot sauce (optional)
Chop off zucchini and carrot ends
- Grate vegetables, place in bowls (Optional: Add seasonings: salt & pepper, chili powder or hot sauce). TIP: Placing vegetables in individual bowls will allow children to select which vegetables they add to their quesadillas.
- Add about 1/2 Tbsp of oil to the skillet.
- Saute carrots until soft, then transfer back to bowl. Set aside.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for zucchini
- Wipe or rinse skillet and spray with cooking spray.
- Place 1 tortilla in skillet.
- On half of one tortilla place about 1/4 cup of cheese and 2-3 Tbsp of vegetables, sprinkle with a little more cheese.
- Fold tortilla in half and press firmly with a spatula
- Flip and cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes on each side until cheese is melted
- Repeat spraying skillet each time with cooking spray and repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Serve with tomato salsa (about 2 Tbsp per quesadilla).